What is Passive Building?
Passive building puts passive house principles into practice to create safe, resilient, comfortable and – most importantly – energy efficient structures, from commercial to residential to multifamily. Phius sets the standard for passive house in North America and has certified 3,000+ professionals.
In This Section
Principles of Passive Building
- Using continuous insulation throughout the building envelope to minimize or eliminate thermal bridging
- Building a well-detailed and extremely airtight building envelope, preventing infiltration of outside air and loss of conditioned air while increasing envelope durability and longevity
- Employs high-performance windows (double or triple-paned) and doors - solar gain is managed to exploit the sun's energy for heating purposes in the heating season and to minimize overheating during the cooling season
- Using some form of balanced heat- and moisture-recovery ventilation to significantly enhance indoor air quality
- Minimizing the space conditioning system because of lower space conditioning loads
A Better Way Forward: The Advantages of Passive Building
Phius-certified buildings go through a rigorous quality control process, ensuring safety for the environment and the building inhabitants.
Phius buildings have been proven to be more resilient in the event of natural disasters, such as wildfires and extreme heat and cold events.
Superb indoor air quality is a prerequisite for Phius certification – you can count on a healthy environment.
The holistic design of Phius buildings make them uniquely built for the long haul.
Superinsulation and efficient mechanical systems help maintain the strict comfort standards required for Phius certification.
Phius projects require minimal to no additional upfront costs, while guaranteeing substantial energy cost savings in the future.
Engaging a Community of Professionals
Quality Assurance Professionals
For myself and for us at Architectural Resource, we feel that Phius presents the best possible, most rigorous, building science-based path forward to a brighter future. One where our homes are not a part of the problem, but rather a part of the solution.
Dive Into the Details
Want to learn even more about Phius and passive building? You're in the right place.
Request a Phius 101 Presentation
The best way to introduce Phius to your firm is with a one-hour Phius 101 presentation. Just fill out the request form and we'll come to you!