CPHC Certification Exam Dates & Registration
PHIUS established the CPHC® credential to distinguish accomplished passive house professionals in the marketplace. CPHCs are listed in the PHIUS CPHC database and join a robust community of passive building practitioners across North America.
The CPHC exam covers basic building science, the principles of the PHIUS+ 2015 Passive Building Standard, and passive building calculations and design principles. To achieve CPHC certification, candidates must:
- Take and pass (70 percent or better) a three-hour in-class computer-based exam. Candidates are required to use their own computers for this component of the certification exam.
- The exam will be offered in the afternoon on the last day of CPHC in-class training. The exam may also occasionally be offered independently of training sessions; refer to the table below for upcoming test dates.
- Candidate must also complete and pass a take-home design exercise within four weeks of taking the computer-based exam.
- Please note, registration for both In-Class and Take-Home exam closes 48-hours prior to your selected location's exam time.
The exam lasts three hours, however please allow four hours to accommodate computer set-up, test instructions, and other administrative details.
In-Class Exam Content and Scoring
The CPHC exam consists of four sections with the following weightings:
- Online portion:
- Basic Building Science Principles (multiple choice) - 10%
- PHIUS+ 2015 Passive Building Standard (multiple choice) - 30%
- Passive House Calculations (multiple choice) - 30%
- Take-Home portion:
- Passive House Design exercise - 30%
The exam is open-book and you are allowed to bring any notes, slide printouts and/or books you feel will be useful. You may also bring a non-programmable calculator. Calculation precision is critical for the exam, so if you do use your own calculator be sure that it is not set to round your results. The use of smartphones or internet resources is not permitted during the exam.
The Take-Home portion of the CPHC exam will be distributed via the Online Training Platform on your scheduled In-Class exam date. The Take-Home is due back (uploaded to the Online Training Platform) 4-weeks from the date of distribution. If you are unable to complete your exam within the allotted 4-weeks, re-registration for a future exam date will be required, unless post-ponement is requested no less than 48-hours prior to the scheduled in-class exam date.
Examinees who score 70 percent or higher overall on the combined in-class and take-home exam will receive the CPHC® credential from PHIUS.
2019 Locations, Dates and Times
|Location||Class Dates||In-Class Exam Date||In-Class Exam Time||Take-Home Exam Due Date (4-weeks after In-Class Exam)|
Hosted by Bright Power
11 Hanover Square, 21st Fl
|May 20 - 24||May 24||8:30 am - 5:00 pm||June 24|
Class fill to capacity
Hosted by Perkins+Will
225 Franklin Street, Ste 1100
|June 17 - 21||June 21||8:30 am – 5:00 pm||July 21|
Hosted by University of Oregon (White Stag Block)
70 NW Couch St
|July 29 - Aug 2||Aug 2||
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Hosted by Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI)
22830 Two Rivers Road
|Sept 23 - 27||Sept 27||8:30 am – 5:00 pm||Oct 27|
Hosted by Green Building United
2401 Walnut Street Ste 103
|Oct 7 - 11||Oct 11||8:30 am – 5:00 pm||Nov 11|
Exam Registration Fees
Full exam: in-class + take-home, pricing is as follows:
- Pro-Level PHAUS Members*: $275
- Non-Members*: $300
- Non-CPHC class participants (WUFI Passive Training required)*: $400
Exam re-take, either portion of the exam, pricing is as follows:
- In-Class Exam*: $150 USD
- Take-Home Design Exercise: $150 USD
* The Practice Exam is included with the noted exam registrations above, otherwise pricing is as follows:
- Practice Exam Only: $25
Use the links below to register for the full exam or either portion of the exam.
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software