PHIUS Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC®) Training Program
Trainees receive a free 8-week license to WUFI Passive software. WUFI Passive, which combines passive energy modeling with WUFI’s hygrothermal modeling, is also available for purchase from Fraunhofer IBP.
WUFI Passive requires Windows OS. Mac users need to purchase and install VMWare Fusion, Bootcamp or Parallels, along with a Windows operating system. VMWare Fusion is recommended.
In addition, students must install LBNL THERM. Always download the most recent NFRC-approved version.
The most recent STABLE version as of November 2014 is 7.3.2. It is available as a free download here.
There are known technical issues with THERM installation on Windows 7 and Windows Vista - special installation information for these operating systems can be found here.
Earn the leading passive building credential in North America – become a PHIUS Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC®) today!
CPHC is the only professional passive building credential training program that includes instruction in energy modeling software and the only professional passive building credential with a continuing education program.
First launched in 2008, PHIUS established the Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC®) credential to distinguish accomplished passive house professionals in the marketplace. CPHC training was the first – and is still the only – passive building training program tailored to North America’s unique climate variations, market conditions, and building components. PHIUS, the leading North American passive building training provider, has trained nearly 1,200 professionals to date.
PHIUS-trained CPHCs are leading the adoption of passive building from coast to coast by designing and building quality-assured PHIUS Certified Passive House projects across all of North America's varied climate zones. Projects earning PHIUS+ Certification follow RESNET QA/QC protocols and achieve both excellent HERS scores and US Department of Energy Zero Energy Ready Home (formerly DOE Challenge Home) status.
Here's your chance to join a robust community of industry leaders and learn the core principles and skills you'll need to be a successful passive building practitioner.
Online + In-Class format makes it more convenient and affordable than ever to become a CPHC
PHIUS has reconfigured the CPHC program to make it both more convenient and affordable to promote the growth of passive building design from coast to coast:
- Phase I is offered as eight three-hour virtual sessions.
- Virtual sessions are taught as pre-recorded webinars. They’re led by seasoned PHIUS-trained expert instructors with the latest, continually updated curriculum.
- Students travel only once. Five-day Phase II in-person instruction is offered in training locations around the United States.
- Phase II focuses specifically on modeling software and exercises that require personal interaction.
- The CPHC exam (optional) is offered on site on the last afternoon of training.
Participants travel only once as part of CPHC training, reducing travel and lodging costs and overall fees. Registration for the CPHC program includes both Phases I & II, as well as a free 8-week license to use the full version of the WUFI Passive energy modeling software (both static and dynamic modeling functions):
- $1,800 general registration (non-PHAUS member) (previously $2,100)
- $1,650 PHAUS Professional Members (previously $1,800)
- Learn more about PHAUS Membership
CPHC training continues to evolve from year to year in keeping pace with the growth and development of the passive building industry. Today's curriculum is better than ever!
CPHC training participants will cover the following core principles:
- Learn the principles of passive building design: heat transfer, air-tightness, thermal bridge free detailing, super-insulation, high-efficiency ventilation, moisture control.
- Learn WUFI Passive, the next-generation passive and hygrothermal modeling tool developed in partnership with Fraunhofer IBP and Owens Corning. It’s a remarkable all-in-one performance and risk management tool for building professionals. Students receive a free 8-week license to use the full version WUFI Passive. (NOTE: Other programs require students to take energy modeling as a separate module).
- Gain proficiency in energy modeling skills by completing an entire project including energy balancing (static and dynamic), and hygrothermal assessments of all building components and comfort assessments according to ASHRAE 55.
- Learn to implement high performance building science principles and passive house techniques in residential, commercial, and retrofit scenarios across all North American climate zones.
- Learn from North America’s most experienced and accomplished passive building practitioners. PHIUS instructors have designed and certified projects across the United States and Canada.
- Study built examples—including mechanical systems—for each North American climate zone.
- Learn about suitable materials and components available in local U.S. and Canadian markets, and details for passive house applications according to climate.
- Learn the best air tightness strategies, thermal bridge free detailing, and how to evaluate your design in THERM.
- Learn how to assure quality and performance for your client from the design process through construction using PHIUS+ Certification and QA/QC.
- This course requires a base knowledge in building science commensurate with architectural training, hands-on building experience, or similar background. PHIUS reserves the right to admit applicants into training without all pre-qualifications complete, with the understanding that the candidate will demonstrate proficiency in all required areas prior to certification.
- Passive house consultants need to understand industry standard quality assurance and quality control protocols to ensure their projects are built as designed.
- Consultants will gain skills in modeling tools including WUFI. PHIUS CPHC training includes instruction in WUFI Passive, the all in one tool including passive house verification, hygrothermal assessment, and dynamic modeling for implementing sound building science principles across all North American climate zones.
PHIUS CPHC Training is the only comprehensive program built to equip graduates who pass the certification exam with the skills they need to get started on their own passive building projects.
CPHC Certification Exam
Following the completion of CPHC training, participants may take the optional certification examination. After successfully passing their exam, CPHCs are listed in the online PHIUS certified professionals database and PHAUS Professional Services Directory, and have access to the latest technical information available from PHIUS.
To become certified, participants must:
- Earn a minimum score of 70% on the computer-based exam.
NOTE: Exam requires separate registration. Register here for the exam.
- Complete and pass a take-home design exercise within three weeks of taking the computer-based exam.
- Students can opt to take the exam on the afternoon of the last day of training or,
- The exam will also be offered independently of training sessions. Check the CPHC Exam Dates & Registration page for details on upcoming dates.
- Exam registration is separate from training registration. Register for the exam here.
Questions? Email: email@example.com