PHIUS CPHC® (Certified Passive House Consultant) Training Program
NYSERDA funding for CPHC training!
We're proud to report that NYSERDA has recognized PHIUS CPHC training! With the support of NYSERDA, PHIUS is pleased to offer drastically reduced tuition for eligible* individuals for the upcoming training in Schenectady, NY. Qualified pplicants will receive a 60 percent discount off the regular CPHC program fee--that's nearly $1,100. Program details:
Phase I Online: 8 three-hour sessions beginning April 21
Phase II In-Class program: Five days of in-class instruction, June 15-19
Certification exam (optional): the afternoon of June 19 (requires separate registration)
Northeast Parent & Child Society
530 Franklin Street,
Schenectady, NY 12305
- Regular Fee: $1800
- Discounted fee for eligible* applicants: $720
*ELIGIBILITY = The Applicant understands to be eligible for this training initiative, they must: Work or live in an area whereby the local utility participates in the System Benefits Charge. This includes the following utilities: Central Hudson Gas and Electric, Consolidated Edison, National Grid (Excludes former LIPA Utility), NYS Electric and Gas, Orange and Rockland Utilities, Rochester Gas and Electric.
- Applicants must also complete the standard PHIUS CPHC application form and meet PHIUS admission requirements prior to registering & paying for the program.
- Visit the registration page for full details.
Upcoming CPHC Programs
Spring CPHC progam dates set!
Phase I - Virtual Training
April 21- May 14
Phase II - In-Class offered in:
Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, Albany/Schenectady, NY
Trainees receive a free 8-week license to WUFI Passive software. WUFI Passive, which combines passive energy modeling with WUFI’s hygrothermal modeling, is also available for purchase from Fraunhofer IBP.
WUFI Passive requires Windows OS. Mac users need to purchase and install VMWare Fusion, Bootcamp or Parallels, along with a Windows operating system. VMWare Fusion is recommended.
In addition, students must install LBNL THERM. Always download the most recent NFRC-approved version.
The most recent STABLE version as of February 2013 is 6.3.38. It is available as a free download here
There are known technical issues with THERM installation on Windows 7 and Windows Vista - special installation information for these operating systems can be found here.
Earn the leading passive house credential in North America – become a PHIUS CPHC.
PHIUS-trained Certified Passive House Consultants (CPHCs) are leading the adoption of passive house by designing and building quality-assured PHIUS Certified Passive House projects. PHIUS CPHC's are building these projects across all of North America's varied climate zones. And they're building them right. They’re earning the PHIUS+ Certification, which follows RESNET QA/QC protocols; they’re earning U.S. DOE Challenge Home status and earning low HERS scores.
Here's your chance to join this group of passive house industry leaders. To be successful, passive building designers need to understand passive principles—and much, much more.
Virtual + In-Class format makes it more convenient and affordable to become a CPHC!
Launched in 2008, PHIUS CPHC training was the first – and is still the only – passive house training program tailored to North America’s unique climate variations, market conditions and building components. PHIUS, the leading North American passive house training provider, has certified more than 500 CPHCs. To keep the momentum going, PHIUS has reconfigured its CPHC program to make it more convenient--and affordable:
- Phase I is now offered as eight three-hour virtual sessions.
- Virtual sessions are live. They’re led by seasoned PHIUS-trained expert instructors with the latest, continually updated curriculum; with opportunity for live virtual expert interaction and support.
- See a recorded example of a virtual program--Katrin Klingenberg’s online introduction to WUFI Passive Software.
- Students travel only once. Five-day Phase II in-person instruction is offered in training locations around the United States.
- Phase II focuses specifically on modeling software and exercises that require personal interaction.
- The CPHC exam (optional) is offered on site on the last afternoon of training.
The new configuration reduces travel and lodging costs—and reduces fees! The new, lower full costs for the CPHC program include both phases and a free, 8-week license to use WUFI Passive energy modeling software:
- $1,800 for general public (previously $2100)
- $1,650 for PHAUS Pro members (previously $1,950)
Visit PHAUS for membership information
The new format is as thorough and chock-full of information as before—including fuller treatment of energy modeling. In fact, the curriculum is better than ever!
The program’s main components:
- Learn the principles of passive building design: heat transfer, air-tightness, thermal bridge free detailing, super-insulation, highly efficient ventilation, moisture control
- Learn WUFI Passive, the next-generation passive and hygrothermal modeling tool developed in partnership with Fraunhofer IBP and Owens Corning. It’s a remarkable all-in-one performance and risk management tool for building professionals. Students receive a free 8-week license to use WUFI Passive!
- Gain proficiency in energy modeling skills by completing an entire project including energy balancing (static and dynamic), and hygrothermal assessments of all building components and comfort assessments according to ASHRAE 55.
- Learn to implement high performance building science principles and passive house techniques in residential, commercial, and retrofit scenarios across all North American climate scenarios.
- Learn from North America’s most experienced and accomplished passive house practitioners. PHIUS instructors have designed and certified projects across the United States and Canada.
- Study built examples—including mechanical systems—for each North American climate zone.
- Learn about suitable materials and components available in local U.S. and Canadian markets, and details for passive house applications according to climate.
- Learn the best air tightness strategies, thermal bridge free detailing and how to evaluate your design in THERM.
- Learn how to assure quality and performance for your client from the design process through construction using PHIUS+ Certification & Q/A.
CPHC Training Objectives:
- To implement the principles successfully, passive house consultants must, at a minimum, be competent in energy modeling and balancing software.
- In most North American climate zones, they also need to master additional tools such as WUFI. PHIUS CPHC training includes instruction in WUFI Passive, the all in one tool including passive house verification, hygrothermal assessment, and dynamic modeling.
- Passive house consultants need to understand industry standard quality assurance and quality control protocols to ensure their projects are built as designed.
PHIUS Certified Passive House Consultant Training is the only comprehensive program that equips graduates who pass the certification exam to get started on their passive building projects.
CPHC Certification Exam
PHIUS established the Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC ®) credential to distinguish accomplished passive house professionals in the marketplace. CPHCs are listed on the PHIUS online database of CPHCs, in the PHAUS Professional Services Directory, and may access the latest technical developments via PHIUS.
To become certified, students must:
- Take and pass with a minimum score of 70 percent a computer-based exam.
NOTE: Exam requires separate registration. Register here for the exam.
- Complete and pass a take-home design exercise within three weeks of taking the computer-based exam.
- Students can opt to take the exam on the afternoon of the last day of training or
- The exam will also offered independently of training sessions (2014 dates will be announced shortly).
- Exam registration is separate from training registration: Register here for the exam.
Questions? Email: email@example.com