CPHC Exam Dates & Registration
Preparing for Exam Day
1. The Internet-based portion of the exam requires that each candidate bring laptop computer. A PC or Virtual PC (for Mac users) with the Prometric Lockdown Browser pre-installed on a Windows operating system is required. Review the computer requirements below and ensure your computer meets them.
Attention Mac Users: The Prometric test system requires a Windows computer. Therefore, to use your Mac for the exam, you must use some flavor of a a virtual Windows system. See below.
Minimum System Specifications-Windows
- Pentium class computer – 75MHz or higher processor speed
- Windows 7, Vista or XP operating system
- 256 MB RAM; 4 MB free disk space
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or newer
Minimum System Specifications-Mac
- Mac OSX
- Virtual PC (via VMWare Fusion, Bootcamp, etc.) that meets the PC requirements listed above
- Safari v3.2.1 or above, Firefox v3.5 or above (or similar Mozilla core browser)
- Prometric’s IBT web application requires all browsers to have:
- Session (in memory) cookies enabled
- Popup blockers disabled
- Screen resolution of 1024 X 768, 256 colors minimum
2. Before the exam, you must download and install the Prometric lockdown browser. It will not in any way damage your computer and can be uninstalled after the exam. A PC or Virtual PC with the Prometric Lockdown Browser pre-installed on a Windows operating system is required to take the exam. Download instructions are available at the link below:
3. See the below PDF for setting up for the Exam & creating an account. Also, print or save the pdf below for reference at the testing site:
Be certain to record your Prometric account login name and password in a safe place, as you will need this information to take the exam!
The files on your computer will NOT be accessible during the exam. Any information you want to have handy as reference must be in printed format!
PHIUS established the Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC) credential to distinguish accomplished passive house professionals in the marketplace. CPHCs are listed on the PHIUS and PHAUS online database of CPHCs, and get access via PHIUS to the latest technical developments.
To become certified, students must:
- Take and pass (70 percent or better) a three-hour computer-based exam. Students are required to use their own computers for this component of the certification exam.
- Complete and pass a take-home design exercise within three weeks of taking the computer-based exam.
- The exam will be offered on the afternoon of the last day of training. The exam will also offered independently of training sessions (see below for table of upcoming dates).
- Students who register for the exam will be provided access to a practice exam.
The PHIUS North American Certified Passive House exam covers basic building science, mastery of the Passive House standard, Passive House calculations, and Passive House design. PHIUS offers the exam in partnership with Prometric, a leader in testing and assessment.
- The exam lasts three hours. But please allow four hours for the on-site exam, to accommodate computer set-up, test instructions, and other administrative details.
- See the sidebar for technical requirements. The required software should be installed and troubleshooted in advance of the exam day.
Exam Content and Scoring
The North American CPHC exam consists of four sections with the following weightings:
- Basic Building Science (Prometric computer-based) 10%
- Passive House Standard Mastery (Prometric computer-based) 30%
- Passive House Calculations (Prometric computer-based) 30%
- Passive House Design (Take-Home portion) 30%
The exam is open-book. You may bring any notes, slide printouts and/or books you feel will be useful. You may bring a non-programmable calculator, but please note that a calculator is also built into the PHIUS Prometric online test. Calculation precision is critical for the exam, so if you do use your own calculator, be sure it is not set to round your results. The use of smart phones is not permitted during the exam.
Examinees who score 70 percent or higher overall on the combined computer-based and take-home exam will receive the Certified Passive House Consultant credential from PHIUS.
Locations, Dates and Times
|Location||Class Dates||Class Times||Exam Date||Exam Time|
|Chicago Exact Location TBD||July 27 - 31||8:00 am - 5:00 pm||July 31||1:00 - 5:00 pm|
DoubleTree City Center,
|N/A - this is a stand-alone exam time||N/A||September 22||1:00 - 5:00 pm|
*The CPHC Exam will be offered during the NAPHC2016 Pre-Conference.
- $275 for Passive House Alliance US Members
- $300 for Non-Members
- $400 for those who have not taken the CPHC class (WUFI Passive Training required)
If you wish to re-take only one portion of the exam (either in-class computer-based portion or the take-home design exam), pricing is as follows:
- In-Class Portion: $150 USD
- Take-Home Portion: $150 USD
Use the link below to register for the full exam or either portion of the exam.
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software