CPHC Certification Exam Dates & Registration
PHIUS established the Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC®) credential to distinguish accomplished passive house professionals in the marketplace. CPHCs are listed in the PHIUS CPHC database and join a robust community of passive building practitioners across North America.
The CPHC exam covers basic building science, the principles of the PHIUS+ 2015 Passive Building Standard, and passive building calculations and design principles. To achieve CPHC certification, candidates must:
- Take and pass (70 percent or better) a three-hour computer-based exam. Candidates are required to use their own computers for this component of the certification exam.
- The exam will be offered in the afternoon on the last day of CPHC in-class training. The exam will also be offered independently of training sessions; refer to the table below for upcoming test dates.
- Candidate must also complete and pass a take-home design exercise within three weeks of taking the computer-based exam.
The exam lasts three hours, however please allow four hours to accommodate computer set-up, test instructions, and other administrative details.
Exam Content and Scoring
The CPHC exam consists of four sections with the following weightings:
- Basic Building Science Principles (multiple choice) - 10%
- PHIUS+ 2015 Passive Building Standard (multiple choice) - 30%
- Passive House Calculations (multiple choice) - 30%
- Passive House Design (take-home design exercise) - 30%
The exam is open-book and you are allowed to bring any notes, slide printouts and/or books you feel will be useful. You may also bring a non-programmable calculator. Calculation precision is critical for the exam, so if you do use your own calculator be sure that it is not set to round your results. The use of smartphones is not permitted during the exam.
Examinees who score 70 percent or higher overall on the combined computer-based and take-home exam will receive the CPHC credential from PHIUS.
Locations, Dates and Times
|Location||Class Dates||Exam Date||Exam Time|
New York, NY
535 W 24th St, New York, NY 10011
Oct. 31 - Nov. 4, 2016
Nov. 4, 2016
1:00 - 5:00 pm
Yestermorrow Design / Build School
7865 Main Street, Waitsfield, VT 05673
Jan. 21-28, 2017
Jan. 28, 2017
1:00 - 5:00 pm
Exam Registration Fees
- PHAUS Members: $275
- Non-Members: $300
- Non-CPHC class participants (WUFI Passive Training required): $400
If you wish to re-take only one portion of the exam (either the in-class computer-based portion or the take-home design exam), pricing is as follows:
- In-Class Exam: $150 USD
- Take-Home Design Exercise: $150 USD
Use the link below to register for the full exam or either portion of the exam.
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software