PHIUS Certified Builders Training
Become a PHIUS Certified Builder!
Superinsulation, air-tight envelopes, high-performance window installation, site management, component sourcing--passive house construction presents special challenges to builders. The PHIUS Builders Training program prepares construction professionals to meet the passive house challenge.
Dan Whitmore, Mike Kernagis, and Adam Cohen--who have built 20 successful passive house projects between them--developed the curriculum. It runs from an introduction to design theory and climate-specific detailing to materials, techniques, project management, and quality assurance.
The course offers real-world experience in the on-site implementation of passive house as well as counseling and advice to both the practical and business concerns specific to passive house. The course covers not only craftsmanship, but also focuses on the risks and liability to the passive house contractor and guidance in both problem solving and (more importantly) problem avoidance.
The full program runs four days.
- Learn general passive house principles
- Classroom and field focus on envelope issues
- HVAC considerations and testing
- Cost optimization/bidding
- QA/QC process
To become a PHIUS Certified Builder, students must:
- Complete and return the qualifying exam within three weeks of completing class (exam requires separate registration, see below)
- Earn a passing grade of 75%
- Provide proof of licensure & insurance for jurisdictions where they are required
PHIUS Certified Builders are listed on the PHIUS online database of Certified Builders, and are licensed to use the PHIUS Certified Builder logo and accompanying recommended language.
Upcoming Program Schedule
910 High Street, Unit 14
Instructor: Natalie Leonard
April 21-24, 2017
|9:00am - 4:30pm
Registration & Fees
Builders Training @ The Endeavour Centre
- Early Bird: $1,295 CAD (available to first 4 registrants only)
- Regular: $1,395 CAD (registration closes April 10)
Builders Exam Registration
- Exam Fee: $95
Students must complete and return the PHIUS Certified Builder Exam within three weeks of completing the class. The Exam is available on the last day of any currently scheduled Builders' Training session; please enter your selected exam location and date during registration.
Maintaining the PHIUS Certified Builder Credential
PHIUS Certified Builders can maintain/extend their certification status through either one of the following methods:
1. Build a PHIUS+ Certified Passive Building Project
Successfully building a project within three years after the professional’s certification date will maintain/extend the Builder’s professional credential status by an additional three years.
2. Take and Pass the Current Builder Exam
Successfully completing the Builder exam will maintain/extend the Builder’s professional credential status by three years.
If Builder Certification Expires:
- A Builder who fails to meet one of the above requirements by their expiration date will be removed from the Builder database and their credential will no longer be considered valid.
- A Builder whose certification status has expired can reactivate their certification by taking and passing the current Builder exam.