PHIUS Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC®) Training Program
CPHC Trainees receive a free 8-week license to the WUFI® Passive software. WUFI Passive, which combines passive building energy modeling with dynamic hygrothermal modeling capabilities, is also available for purchase from Fraunhofer IBP.
WUFI Passive requires Windows OS. Mac users need to purchase and install VMWare Fusion, Bootcamp or Parallels, along with a Windows operating system. VMWare Fusion is recommended. See the full WUFI Passive system requirements here.
In addition, students must install LBNL THERM. Always download the most recent NFRC-approved version.
The most recent STABLE version as of November 2014 is 7.3.2. It is available as a free download here.
There are known technical issues with THERM installation on Windows 7 and Windows Vista - special installation information for these operating systems can be found here.
Earn the leading passive building credential in North America – become a PHIUS Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC®) today!
CPHC is the only professional passive building credential training program that includes instruction in energy modeling software and the only professional passive building credential with a continuing education program.
First launched in 2008, PHIUS established the Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC®) credential to distinguish accomplished passive house professionals in the marketplace. CPHC training was the first – and is still the only – passive building training program tailored to North America’s unique climate variations, market conditions, and building components. PHIUS, the leading North American passive building training provider, has trained over 2,000 professionals to date, including 1,350 CPHCs.
PHIUS-trained CPHCs are leading the adoption of passive building from coast to coast by designing and building quality-assured PHIUS+ Certified passive building projects across all of North America's varied climate zones. Projects earning PHIUS+ Certification follow RESNET QA/QC protocols and achieve both excellent HERS scores and US Department of Energy Zero Energy Ready Home (formerly DOE Challenge Home) status.
Here's your chance to join a robust community of industry leaders and learn the core principles and skills you'll need to be a successful passive building practitioner.
New CPHC Training Platform Launches Spring 2017!
The new CPHC online training platform offers engaging videos featuring PHIUS trainers.
We are pleased to announce that we are launching an exciting new online platform for the Phase I: Online portion of CPHC training that will make self-guided learning easier, more effective, and engaging. The new platform puts into practice the latest recommended best practice tools and strategies of online learning. PHIUS's new partner in this endeavor is Saturn Resource Management, a pioneer in the world of designing online learning systems. Today, the company is one of the most experienced and seasoned online education experts out there. Even better, they also have deep roots in high-performance home and building science education. Together we are working to deliver the highest quality curriculum and advanced skill set necessary to help you become a successfully practicing passive building professional.
- Phase I is offered as online sessions taken at your own pace. Virtual sessions are taught as pre-recorded webinars led by seasoned PHIUS-trained expert instructors with the latest, continually updated curriculum.
- Phase II is offered as five-days of in-class instruction geared specifically toward modeling software and exercises that require personal interaction. Participants travel only once as part of the Phase II in-class CPHC training, reducing travel and lodging costs and overall fees.
- The CPHC exam (optional) is offered on site on the last afternoon of training. Participants must complete both Phase I and II of the training to be eligible to take the final exam.
For more details on scheduled upcoming CPHC trainings and exams, visit the CPHC Training Schedule & Registration page.
Standard CPHC Training Fees
- $1,800 general registration (non-PHAUS member) (previously $2,100)
- $1,650 PHAUS Professional Members (previously $1,800)
- Learn more about PHAUS Membership
CPHC training participants will cover the following core principles:
- Learn the principles of passive building design: heat transfer, air-tightness, thermal bridge free detailing, super-insulation, high-efficiency ventilation, moisture control.
- Learn WUFI Passive, the next-generation passive house verification, hygrothermal assessment, and dynamic modeling tool developed in partnership with Fraunhofer IBP and Owens Corning. It’s a remarkable all-in-one performance and risk management tool for building professionals. Students receive a free 8-week license to use the full version WUFI Passive. (NOTE: Other programs require students to take energy modeling as a separate module).
- Gain proficiency in energy modeling skills by completing an entire project including energy balancing (static and dynamic), and hygrothermal assessments of all building components and comfort assessments according to ASHRAE 55.
- Learn to implement high performance building science principles and passive house techniques in residential, commercial, and retrofit scenarios across all North American climate zones.
- Learn from North America’s most experienced and accomplished passive building practitioners. PHIUS instructors have designed and certified projects across the United States and Canada.
- Study built examples—including mechanical systems—for each North American climate zone.
- Learn about suitable materials and components available in local U.S. and Canadian markets, and details for passive house applications according to climate.
- Learn the best air tightness strategies, thermal bridge free detailing, and how to evaluate your design in THERM.
- Learn how to assure quality and performance for your client from the design process through construction using PHIUS+ Certification and QA/QC.
Apply for Acceptance to CPHC Training
- This course requires a base knowledge in building science commensurate with architectural training, hands-on building experience, or similar background. PHIUS reserves the right to admit applicants into training without all pre-qualifications complete, with the understanding that the candidate will demonstrate proficiency in all required areas prior to certification.
- Passive house consultants need to understand industry standard quality assurance and quality control protocols to ensure their projects are built as designed.
- Consultants will gain skills in modeling tools including WUFI. PHIUS CPHC training includes instruction in WUFI Passive, the all in one tool including passive house verification, hygrothermal assessment, and dynamic modeling for implementing sound building science principles across all North American climate zones.
PHIUS CPHC Training is the only comprehensive program built to equip graduates who pass the certification exam with the skills they need to get started on their own passive building projects.
CPHC Certification Exam
Following the completion of Phases I and II of the CPHC training, participants may take the optional certification examination. After successfully passing their exam, CPHCs are listed in the online PHIUS CPHC database and PHAUS Professional Services Directory, and have access to the latest technical information available from PHIUS.
To become certified, participants must:
- Earn a minimum score of 70% on the computer-based exam.
- Complete and pass a take-home design exercise within four weeks of taking the computer-based exam.
- Students can opt to take the exam on the afternoon of the last day of training or,
- The exam will also be offered independently of training sessions. Check the CPHC Exam Dates & Registration page for details on upcoming dates.
- Exam registration is separate from training registration. Register for the exam here.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org