PHIUS CPHC® Training Program
CPHC Trainees receive a free 8-week license to the WUFI® Passive software. WUFI Passive, which combines passive building energy modeling with dynamic hygrothermal modeling capabilities, is also available for purchase from Fraunhofer IBP.
WUFI Passive requires Windows OS. Mac users need to purchase and install VMWare Fusion, Bootcamp or Parallels, along with a Windows operating system. VMWare Fusion is recommended. See the full WUFI Passive system requirements here.
In addition, students must install LBNL THERM. Always download the most recent NFRC-approved version.
There are known technical issues with THERM installation on Windows 7 and Windows Vista - special installation information for these operating systems can be found here.
Earn the leading passive building credential in North America – become a PHIUS CPHC® today!
CPHC is the only professional passive building program that includes instruction in energy modeling software.
First launched in 2008, PHIUS established the CPHC® program to distinguish accomplished passive house professionals in the marketplace. CPHC training was the first – and is still the only – passive building training program tailored to North America’s unique climate variations, market conditions, and building components.
PHIUS, the leading North American passive building training provider, has trained more than 2,000 professionals to date. CPHCs learn to design to the PHIUS+ climate-specific building standard, the leading passive building certification in North America. PHIUS-trained CPHCs are leading the adoption of passive building from coast to coast.
Projects earning PHIUS+ Certification follow RESNET QA/QC protocols and achieve both excellent HERS scores and US Department of Energy Zero Energy Ready Home (formerly DOE Challenge Home) status.
Here's your chance to join a robust community of industry leaders and learn the core principles and skills you'll need to be a successful passive building practitioner.
The CPHC online training platform offers engaging videos featuring PHIUS trainers.
Cutting Edge Training Technology
- Phase I is online, making it easy and convenient to learn foundation principles at your own pace. PHIUS has partnered with Saturn Resource Management, a leader in the world of designing online learning systems to develop regularly updated modules feature experienced PHIUS instructors. Students have access to online training for four (4) months.
- Phase II is offered as five-days of in-class instruction geared specifically toward modeling software and exercises that require personal interaction. Participants travel only once as part of the Phase II in-class CPHC training, reducing travel and lodging costs and overall fees.
- The CPHC exam (separate registration) is offered on site on the last afternoon of training. Participants must complete both Phase I and II of the training to be eligible to take the final exam.
For more details on scheduled upcoming CPHC trainings and exams, visit the CPHC Training Schedule & Registration page.
CPHC training participants will cover the following core principles:
- Learn the principles of passive building design: heat transfer, air-tightness, thermal bridge free detailing, super-insulation, high-efficiency ventilation, moisture control.
- Learn WUFI® Passive, the next-generation passive house verification, hygrothermal assessment, and dynamic modeling tool developed in partnership with Fraunhofer IBP and Owens Corning. It’s a remarkable all-in-one performance and risk management tool for building professionals. Students receive a free 8-week license to use the full version WUFI Passive. (NOTE: Other programs require students to take energy modeling as a separate module).
- Gain proficiency in energy modeling skills by completing an entire project including energy balancing (static and dynamic), and hygrothermal assessments of all building components and comfort assessments according to ASHRAE 55.
- Learn to implement high performance building science principles and passive house techniques in residential, commercial, and retrofit scenarios across all North American climate zones.
- Learn from North America’s most experienced and accomplished passive building practitioners. PHIUS instructors have designed and certified projects across the United States and Canada.
- Study built examples—including mechanical systems—for each North American climate zone.
- Learn about suitable materials and components available in local U.S. and Canadian markets, and details for passive house applications according to climate.
- Learn the best air tightness strategies, thermal bridge free detailing, and how to evaluate your design in THERM.
- Learn how to assure quality and performance for your client from the design process through construction using PHIUS+ Certification and QA/QC.
Apply for Acceptance to CPHC Training
- This course requires a base knowledge in building science commensurate with architectural training, hands-on building experience, or similar background. PHIUS reserves the right to admit applicants into training without all pre-qualifications complete, with the understanding that the candidate will demonstrate proficiency in all required areas prior to certification.
- Passive house consultants need to understand industry standard quality assurance and quality control protocols to ensure their projects are built as designed.
- Consultants will gain skills in modeling tools including WUFI. PHIUS CPHC training includes instruction in WUFI Passive, the all in one tool including passive house verification, hygrothermal assessment, and dynamic modeling for implementing sound building science principles across all North American climate zones.
PHIUS CPHC Training is the only comprehensive program built to equip graduates who pass the certification exam with the skills they need to get started on their own passive building projects.
CPHC Certification Exam
Following the completion of Phases I and II of the CPHC training, participants may take the optional certification examination. After successfully passing their exam, CPHCs are listed in the online PHIUS CPHC database, and have access to the latest technical information available from PHIUS.
To become certified, participants must:
- Earn a minimum score of 70% on the computer-based exam.
- Complete and pass a take-home design exercise within four weeks of taking the computer-based exam.
- Students can opt to take the exam on the afternoon of the last day of training or,
- The exam will also be offered independently of training sessions. Check the CPHC Exam Dates & Registration page for details on upcoming dates.
- Exam registration is separate from training registration. Register for the exam here.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org